Click on a staff position below to jump to its full description.
Reports to: Senior Director of Career and Alumni Services
About the Position
In 2017, LEDA expanded its efforts to diversify the leadership sectors of this country by addressing the effects of income inequality on career access and employment opportunities. The LEDA Career Network was created to expose students to career fields that are in alignment with their academic accomplishments while also supporting them to apply to and secure competitive career opportunities. With this in mind, LEDA seeks to hire a Career Counselor to support the continual buildout of the Career Network and launch of the LEDA Alumni Office, which together work to further cultivate the leadership development of talented students from socioeconomically disadvantaged backgrounds.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Career and Alumni Services, the Career Counselor will advise and support LEDA Scholars and LEDA Career Fellows through the career planning, decision making, and job searching processes. The ideal candidate for this role will effectively coordinate, promote, and implement career related programs/events, and gather/track data to analyze program effectiveness and career outcomes. In addition, the Career Counselor will support alumni engagement through communications, collaboration, and programming to foster a strong LEDA alumni community.
Career Network Career Advising and Programming
- Work one-on-one with students to explore career interests and set career goals
- Advise students on course selection and college activities to align with career interests
- Edit and review résumés, cover letters, and LinkedIn profiles
- Coach students during an interview process (preparation, thank-you protocols, navigating offers, etc.)
- Check-in with students and providing ongoing virtual support during internships
- Facilitate communications of career and professional development opportunities throughout the LEDA community
- Create, implement, and facilitate in person and virtual career related workshops and programs
- Conduct outreach to LEDA Alumni Community to engage Scholars’ employers as partners, facilitate mentoring and other programming
- Coordinate employer volunteer activities, such as mock interviews and résumé reviews supported by corporate employer partners and LEDA college alumni
- Coordinate career events and activities, including the LEDA Career Institute, LEDA’s flagship Career Network conference
- Manage promotion of events and other logistics including, application tracking, student correspondence, and student travel
- Prepare event and promotional collateral, such as event program, banners, website pages, etc.
- Liaise with conference services to manage transportation, housing, A/V, catering, and event space needs
- Train event staff including career coaches, intern, and administrative staff
- Hire and supervise intern and other temporary administrative staff for Career Institute
- Manage data entry, survey tools and reporting for LEDA Scholars, LEDA Career Fellows, and LEDA college alumni using Salesforce and other programs
- Track all Career Network activities in LEDA’s database, including mentoring meetings, student engagement, applications, and internship and full-time job placement activities and outcomes
- Develop & administer surveys for career programming and tracking and collecting career related outcomes
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, such as higher education administration, counseling, social work, etc., required
- 2 years relevant experience in career services, counseling, student services, academic advising, or human resources required
- Expertise in career planning, assessment, and job search processes
- Experience implementing programs, large- and small-scale events, and developing career-related materials
- Demonstrated commitment to improving access to education, career, and leadership opportunities for traditionally underrepresented populations
- Ability to thrive in a mission-driven environment with strong values and culture; passionately committed to LEDA’s mission, vision, and strategic direction
- Experiential or professional understanding of academic and non-academic issues surrounding low-income, first-generation college students
- Ability to cultivate and build strong interpersonal relationships with LEDA Scholars, LEDA Career Fellows, and staff
- Willingness to work independently and as a member of a team
- Superior organizational, administrative, communication, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to multi-task and manage deadlines
- Strong technical and data tracking skills (e.g., familiarity with MS Excel, Salesforce, professional and social networking tools/platforms)
This is a full-time position. The salary for the Career Counselor role is in the low $50,000s. LEDA offers medical and dental insurance, a 401(k) retirement plan, TransitChek, at least three weeks’ paid vacation, and paid sick leave.
LEDA offers a flexible, collegial work environment that welcomes new ideas and innovation. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
To be considered for this opportunity, please send an email with a cover letter, résumé, and salary requirements to email@example.com with “Career Counselor” in the subject line.
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results acceptable to LEDA. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.